Thursday 18 August 2011

Parenting - Jekyll and Hyde style

Parenting is SO MUCH HARDER than I thought it was going to be.
I am one of those women who, from an early age, could only see my future with children in it. For much of my life I was surrounded by "little"family members, and can be seen in several photos with cousins propped on my hip.

When I look at my parenting style I can't say I lean definately one way or the other. And I look at other parents and think you can't be their friend all the time" or "they are going to end up hating you for your harsh treatment". So really, I don't necessarily sit in the middle, but swing slightly like a pendulum (sometimes with a child clinging at the bottom).

I don't always get the timing right and it all depends on the dynamics of the moment (what sort of day have I had, how many of my buttons have already been pushed, am I in public, have a got parenting back-up).

But my plan is to assess the child and the moment and hopefully choose a plan of suitable action.

It's just like everything else in life though - you can deal with the same thing in several ways. And the way you choose will influence the outcome.

I am also a product of the way I was brought up (even though we always say I am not going to do that like my mum/dad). And it's funny to hear myself saying some of the phrases I hated to hear. At least NOW I have an appreciation for WHY it was being said. Better late than nerver!

1 comment:

  1. I get what you mean. Our toddler is really coming into her own so issues about discipline, in particular are coming to the fore. In my head, the ideal was to come at these issues with a plan and clear style in mind but I'm finding that's not so easy or straightforward, as you say. I'm often sending articles to my hubby saying I like this approach, maybe we should try that, what do you think? It was just the other day that I thought, with some fear and trepidation, that if this stage was a litle challenging, what are the teen years going to be like! I shudder to think about it!

    ReplyDelete