Saturday 10 September 2011

Happiness is ... seeing beyond the smoke haze


Photobucket

We are reaching a milestone in our household and I'm so proud of hubby for his commitment to giving up a long term habit.  It will be 12 months since he decided to put his health first.
As his family, we are forever grateful for his decision.

There are so many bonuses that we are all feeling from him kicking the habit. The obvious medical bonus, short and long term, the financial bonus, and even the social bonus - you heard right! People often refer to it as the social habit, but smoking is anti-social for the non-smoker who is left inside alone, or feels the need to walk away from the smoke haze and stench.

Don't get me wrong. I have been in the same position. I too kicked the habit.
I hope you're sitting down Mum 'cause it's confession time. My first introduction to smoking was in Grade 5, I would have been 11 years old. It started with joining in to something because everyone else was doing it and formed a habit that was turned on and off for the next 15 years, where I finally made the decision to give up cold turkey. It was one of those moments where I wondered what the attraction had been for me. It certainly was JUST a habit, not something I did because I enjoyed it. It always weighed on my mind how the habit might affect my health (and those around me), and the decision to lead a healthier life, narrowing the risks of cancer, stroke and heart attack was not a hard one.

All of my family members have been smokers at one time or another. Even my Mum in her earlier years. My Dad has also given the habit the flick and is doing really well after it being part of his life for about 40 years. His was definitely a health decision after the doctor told him of his high chances of stroke and heart attack if he continued. It was hard for him after so many years but he was strong and committed. My brother was quite a heavy smoker as well. It took several attempts over the years and different methods, but the end result is the same if you want it for the right reasons. In the end, the cons certainly out weight the pros.

Our family are all reaping the benefits of the haze clearing and we are supporting hubby all the way.
Not that we don't still have people around us that smoke, and that is purely their decision. I understand that people have their own reasons for starting and continuing to smoke. If and when they decide to give up, I will be encouraging them all the way. Until then, I will just stay clear of their haze (no offense), as that is my decision to avoid the health risks and the distinct smell.

Have you kicked the habit (if you started it at all)? What were your reasons for starting, or not starting or giving up?

It is my pleasure to be linking up with rub some dirt for
Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. Hey Mel, Wow I never knew you smoked. I couldn't actually imagine you puffing away. I had a "drag" once in grade 10 and hated it. I can proudly say I've never touched one since. I guess my main reason is seeing my nan suffer with emphysema my whole life and my dad is going down the exact same path even though he saw what my nan was like :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this is something to be really happy about! Well Done to you and your husband for giving this habit the flick. Personally, I have never smoked but I have seen so many of my friends struggle with quitting. I am so proud of them when they do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to you and your hubby! I never smoked because I watched my parents struggle to kick the habit my entire life. That surely is a cause for happiness! I wish you guys the best of luck--I know it can be something that needs constant work. Good for you.

    Thanks for sharing this with us at Rub Some Dirt On It!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from the blog hop and now following you thru GFC and RSS Reader. I would love to have a follow back on both of those when you get the chance. Thanks so much for your help and have a wonderful week!

    Mary@http://www.mmbearcupoftea.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!! I'm stopping by from the Super Stalker Sunday Blog Hop! Thanks so much for linking up with us this week! Hope you are having a great week!!

    See you again next week for more fun Super Stalking,

    Kortney @ Kortney's Krazy Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello yes I to am an ex smoker it has been on and off for years. I started smoking when i was 13 and living in Italy and it scaled from there. It is hard hard habit and it takes allot of work. congrats for quitting and congrats for your husband for doing the same. I am a new follower from the hop hope you can come by and say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to you and your hubby ~ and your whole family! It's a nasty habit and a very, very hard one to break. I've been a non-smoker for over 5 years now. LOVE my new lease on life! New follower from the hop, hope you can stop back by: www.twotootssoapshop.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete