Saturday 12 November 2011

Grateful for ... whinging kids

Linking up with Maxabella Loves



This mother is grateful for children who tell me what the problem is. Some see it as whinging, but from personal experience, I know the problems that can develop from a child who does not come forth with their problem.

My daughter came to me recently, with a problem that I was so familiar with that gave me that feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach.

It took me back to when I was a child, and didn't have the confidence to speak up and say I had a problem. This problem, which could have initially been solved quite simply, turned into a more complex, lengthy medical drama. It took several medications, a lot of patience and bravery, and a change of bad habits to rectify my problem over time. I am still not sure if my ignorance has been the cause of further issues and implications.

Some children think that problems will go away if ignored, that they will get in trouble for causing any hassle, that any problem can only mean something terrible which they would rather not face.

When my daughter came straight to me with her problem, I listened, and I was thinking Thank God she is not like I was. We addressed her problem and it has not been an issue since. If she had not told me about it, as I never old my parents, I would not have known until it was a major concern.

It is important to hear what children are saying, even if you just file it away for future reference, or just show them that you have heard and taken it on board. 


1 comment:

  1. Oh you're so right. Children need to feel that they can talk to their parents - about anything. Looking back on my childhood - it never even entered my head to go to my parents with my problems. As you say - I guess I always felt I would get into trouble for causing hassles. Of course, by trying to cope all on my own, I only ever succeeded in making things much worse.

    ReplyDelete