Monday 5 December 2011

Now I have kids, I know I can!

There was a time (pre-kids) when I did less, expected less of myself, pushed myself less.

image source
It's amazing the things I have discovered that I am capable of since becoming a Mother.

I can still function on a few hours sleep.

I can do many tasks with a heatpack clenched to my body.

I can carry a child capable of walking and multiple shopping bags.

I can step strategcially around toys covering the floor, with coffee in hand and not spill a drop.

I can fully strip, wipe down, and re-dress a screaming, sick child on the side of the highway in no time at all.

I can cope with 4 in the bed. (if absolutely necessary)

I can tune out irritating, high pitched screaming.

I can get the toughest stains out of clothing. (again and again)

I can get medicine into a distressed child without it coming back up and covering me.

I can be imaginative and creative with play, cooking, discipline, and excuses.


I can mop the whole bathroom from floor to ceiling after every bath.

I can nurse a feeding baby, whilst surfing Facebook and interacting with the outside world.

I can have my camera ready in a split second.

I can pack bags for 2 children and 2 adults for a weekend to the beach in half an hour.

I can host a birthday party, make cake, decorate entertain and clean up. All before collapsing in a heap.

I can feed, dress and groom 2 children, drop them in 2 different locations with appropriate attire and lunch, say my loving, encouraging words, and get to work with 5 minutes to spare.

I can kiss a graze and make it feel better, wipe away tears and put a smile on a face, and remove the worst grime with a little "mummy spit".

I can, I have discovered, do many things I would have even dared pre-kids. I have learned some tricks along the way. I've also discovered many ways that things should not be done. It's a work in progress, but I know I have have a go.



3 comments:

  1. Motherhood does prepare us for so many things. I was nodding in agreement to these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just saying this morning that there should be a "Mom Olympics" with events like speed sandwich making. You'd win the gold!

    I'm a new follower! Hope you'll visit me at http://everythingbeautifulinitstime.com.

    ReplyDelete