Tuesday 24 January 2012

The appreciated donor

Sometimes doing a good deed doesn't always bring the satisfaction or the pat on the back that it should. When I donate clothes, it is not assured that they are going to the neediest, when I do Clean Up Australia, the satisfaction is short lived as I watch the litter return and when I buy a raffle ticket, I am unsure how much is going to the cause.

Giving blood is different - from start to finish.

Giving blood is on my 2012 To Do List and the first thing I organised to do. It is something that I thought about doing for years (don't we all say that?).  Well, no longer! I am officially a registered donor.

image source
My first experience went without a hitch.I was a little amazed at how simple it was.
Once through the paperwork, my height and weight was recorded, and blood pressure taken. A simple finger prick test measured my blood levels, and then it was off to do the deed. There can be more to it than that see this link for what to expect.

The thing that struck me about my experience of donating blood was the staff. They looked genuinely happy to be there. I was thanked by several staff members for making the decision to donate, which was reiterated a couple of days later when I received a courtesy call.

Your every need is catered for to make sure that you are comfortable through the process. After ward, your courtesy call is used to fine tune the process so that your following experiences are comfortable and tailored to your needs. I was also left with the reassurance that the blood I donated would help up to 3 people. What a great feeling. I will definitely be back to do it again.

image source
For anyone who has yet to donate you can even book your appointment online.  If you have any doubts ... does it help to know that 1 in 3 people will need blood sometime in their lives. Something to think about.

11 comments:

  1. Good on you for donating. I went to donate for the first times a few years ago but then I found out I was pregnant. The guy on at the blood center was actually the first to be told I was pregnant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe Rhianna thats a very funny way to find out your pregnant!!!!!

      Delete
  2. What a great post :) Makes everyone think about donating.. I am going to look into it today :)

    Thank you for the reminder we all need!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need reminding I think. It has taken me a while to do it. Now I am so glad I did.

      Delete
  3. Your experience sounds wonderful. I've wanted to donate blood before but was either underweight, breastfeeding or pregnant. It's so important and easy that more should do it. I'll be doing it later this year or early next year, whenever they'll let me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, I was told I can't donate due to a low iron count. I suppose that would seem a pity since I am a universal donor (O+). Good on your for doing your part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't donate either, due to iron but my Husband has donated every August (his birthday month) since he was 18.

    BUT I did have an emergency blood transfusion when I was 16 after I hemorrhaged (sp?)in hospital after a surgery. I was very lucky I only needed a small amount. I cannot imagine what it must be like to have to require a large amount after an accident etc.

    So I have seem the amazing side to this, and hope I can donate one day too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the reminder. I went to sign up a few years ago but couldn't donate because I had recently gotten a Tatoo, and then I have always been pregnant or breastfeeding. I wonder if they are open on weekends, so I can leave the kidss with boatman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband has had a tattoo recently, so that ruled him out too. I'm quite sure they do weekend appointments.

      Delete
  7. I drove past one of the Blood Bank vans the other day and really wanted to stop! I used to donate all the time but then I wasn't allowed because I was in the UK during the mad cow disease outbreak. I wonder if that precludes me forever? Anyway, well done for doing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Misha. I think that does rule you out indefinitely. There is still the question on the survey about neing in the UK in that time-frame.

      Delete