Thursday 9 February 2012

Smiling won't send you bankrupt

Smiling is so easy ... so why do some people find it so hard?

image source
It is normal practise for me, when I am out and about, to offer people a smile as I pass them. I guess it's part of my upbringing, that you smile or offer a greeting. Coming from a rural town might also have something to do with it.

image source
Have you ever been out walking and the person walking toward you has a frown or looks totally bummed out? I love that feeling, when you offer them a big smile and a bubbly "Good Morning", and their face suddenly breaks into a smile too. If nothing else, I have accomplished something in my day.



image source
Now I know there are those out there that are allergic and repulsed by the openly happy person. I came across two such individuals on the weekend. Admittedly they were in their teens (I know I was a hormonal grump in my teens), but would it have been such an effort to return my smile just once in the many times I passed them? I always like to think that it actually takes more energy to frown and scowl like the snooty teens young ladies did, than offer a small smile.

If there is one thing that is free in this world, it is the ability to smile and be friendly.
Try it - it might grow on you.




Linking up with
ThankfulThursday
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post, Melissa!! I try to do the same exact thing! It really changes a person's day! It's so special and so amazing :) Love it!

    Thanks for linking up to my Thankful Thursday link-up! I love your thankful heart and your kind heart. I hope people do what you suggested <3

    <3-Cami from First Day of My Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice! Smiling even improves your own mood! Sometimes when I'm feeling grumpy I just try to smile, despite the negative energy, and it helps! Keep smiling!

    (Stopping by from the Happiness Is... blog hop!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a true post--my mother always taught me to at least be pleasant and polite, if nothing else! I'm glad you're sharing your smile with those around you--who knows, maybe you turned those teenagers' days around?


    Thanks for sharing this with us at Rub Some Dirt On It!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost gave up on smiling, again, after buying a coffee at another place served by another unsmiling waitress (shameless reference to my last post at www.noclothesnoshoes.blogspot.com, I'd love you to have a look), I was in a really bad mood, But I'm a natural smiler so when an old lady and I met head on at a corner and I smiled and let her pass she commented on how lovely my smile was and wished me well. So that kept me smiling for the rest of the day.
    You have created a really nice blog.

    ReplyDelete