Wednesday 14 March 2012

Madonna and I find parenting tough

Do you look at the actors and music stars and think, you've got it all. Not only are they doing what they love. They are getting paid good money for it. With that money, they can buy whatever they want. This includes endless help with looking after the kids. Is it really that simple?

Madonna admitted in a recent interview with the Sun newspaper “I’m not going to lie, it’s hard work having four kids and doing all the work I do.”

OK - I get it. The songs don't write themselves, and doing a tour must be exhausting. I wonder, though,  how much time she has spent parenting her own children compared to you or I. Don't forget she is a single mother of 4.  Lourdes, 15, Rocco, 12, David, 6, and Mercy, 5.

At the end of the day, unlike Madonna's children, mine are not attending a French school and listening to their Mum on the radio. They are not popping into the studio and helping with backup vocals. They are not surrounded by the nannies and tutors that a star like Madonna can afford.

I wouldn't swap my life for hers though, for all the money in the world. I like the idea that my children get to choose their own future. They will not be judged wherever they go because of their mother's reputation (well, I hope not). They will need to earn respect, friendships and their place in society with hopefully an honest audience. I like to spend intimate time with my children in public, without invasion of our privacy. I like the freedom to choose where we go and what we do.

So, Madonna and I are both mothers, doing the best we can for our kids. hoping to build them a good future and teach them how to be great people. Madonna and I are living in two completely different worlds - trying to achieve the same thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment