Saturday 10 March 2012

When sniffles get you all down

When my kids get sick, I feel so helpless. I go through the usual list of things to do to make them feel comfortable and perk them up, but I can't make them feel better instantly ... which is what I would like to do.

The disconcerting part for me is how quickly a young child can go from running around and bouncing off walls, to being miserable and pale.

As a parent, you like to feel that you know your child. When they get sick, you certainly know they are not themselves, but when they are writhing around in discomfort, tears streaming down the little face and big eyes looking for you to help them ... sometimes, all you can do is be there for them.

As a working parent, this is a huge pull at the heart-strings. You need to be with your child, but you also need to be doing your job. It's not easy.

At the end of the day though, just having you close by can help your child to feel more at ease. They rely on you to be there for them, to do the right thing by them, and mostly, to have an endless supply of icy poles, cuddles and a cushy knee.

I'm hoping that our latest bout is just some sniffles, sore throats and general grumpiness. That I can cope with - because it is generally short-term.

How do you cope with sick kiddies, juggling work, the helplessness?
image source

No comments:

Post a Comment