Monday 14 May 2012

The child with devil horns and a halo

image source
Just when you think that your child has reached the point of no return and grown the horns of a devil, they turn around and stun you with a simple gesture of kindness.



It would be correct to say that on most days my son is the clear winner of The Drive Mummy Crazy and Makes Sure Mummy Has More Grey Hairs By The End Of The Day awards.

He does all the gross things that boys do, especially to his sister. Theirs is often a love /hate relationship, and the love can turn to hate in an instant.

Today, even though Miss 8 was at school for 8 hours, I had still had enough of the bickering between the two of them, the pushing, the evil faces, and the taunts. It became an automatic reaction to jump in between them by the end of the day.

As night fell, and bedtime was in sight, we performed our nightly rituals and the pj's were on. This is always a calming signal to my frayed nerves. The donning of the night attire is the light at the end of the tunnel for me.

Tonight, though Miss 8 was distressed with another leg ache. I sat and rubbed her leg as I supervised the swallowing of ALL of the pain relief. Master 4 wanted to climb on my knee at that point. Here we go, I thought, another power struggle for attention.  But just when you think you have it figured out, the world spins a little faster to tip you off balance.

With his position secured on my knee, Master 4 then started rubbing his sister's leg too. "Does that feel better, am I doing it right?" he asked his sister. Despite all of the bickering, the tears and the yelling of the day, she relaxed under his touch and smiled sweetly at his gesture.

I informed her she had to finish the whole dose of pain relief. With much drama, she stated "Really? I think it is going to make me sick!" Master 4 bolted from my knee to grab a bucket from the laundry. He placed it ever so carefully in front of his sister. "There you go, just in case you need it". Miss 8 looked at me with a smirk and shrugged. She understood the moment. Siblings may bicker, but at the end of the day, you are there for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment