Sunday 22 July 2012

Grateful for ....the flu

Yes, you read it right. This week has seen our lounge turned into a day bed for one after another of our family, as we fell victim to the flu. I'm not so sure about the rest of the family, but I am grateful.

Life has a way of slowing you down when you need it, making you take a well needed break. For me this has been true on several occasions.

So I took a whole night and day to myself, as I let hubby dose me up with Panadol and top up my drinks. He even thought to grab me a great little pack from the Supermarket, which was a lemon drink powder with soluble Paracetamol made by Codral. It was quite good for those dreaded aches and pains.

My very thoughtful in-laws collected Master 4 for a sleepover, as he tends to jump all over you whether you are sick or not. So Miss 7 and I top and tailed together on the lounge, watching TV, dozing and moaning about our ailments.

It only took me a moan or two to stop and remember that the flu was only a temporary and short situation for us. Unless we hit any complications, the fact was that we had little to complain about.

My mind wandered, as it often does lately, to think about the lovely Lisa at The Kings,who recently lost her son and husband close together, and is now raising her remaining three sons on her own. I also thought of gorgeous Trish at My Little Drummer Boys, who recently had a double mastectomy after discovering a cancerous lump, and is undergoing further treatment. Jess at Kisses From The Fight is always an inspiration, as I struggle to comprehend the enormity of living with her chronic illness from such a young age.

With Master 4 now the latest patient on the lounge, I can't help but smile as I watch him slumber under the polar fleece blanket. His little moans and flushed cheeks are not so hard for this mother to bear, given the ill fortune and suffering others endure.

Have you been sick lately with the flu? Are you sick of hearing about others with the flu? 
GET OVER IT! and thank your lucky stars when you get to the other side.


No comments:

Post a Comment