Friday 10 August 2012

How old will you be?

When I was young, I remember many things just seemed an eternity away. Things like going to High School, turning 18, moving out and having babies. I guess children's concepts of these things happening is really out of proportion.

I had a lovely chat with Master 4 today.

It went:

Master 4: "Will Miss 8 have babies?
Me: "She might do... What about you?
Master 4: "Only girls can have babies."

Me: "So will you marry a girl and have babies together?"
Master 4: "Well, I have 2 girlfriends..."

Me: "So which one do you think you might marry?"
Master 4: "Hmmmm ...... maybe __________?" (name has been withheld, let's say it starts with a letter between L and Z)

Me: "Right. "So how old do you think you'll be when you get married?"
Master 4:"Well .... maybe 6?"

Me:"And how old will you be when you and ______ have babies?"
Master 4:"About 11 I think"

I was digesting this news of my future grandmother hood and Master 4 was analysing the finer details.

Master 4:"Do you I have to live somewhere else when I get older though Mum?
Me: "You can stay here if you want to, but we might need to get a bigger house. Where will you all sleep?"
Master 4: "I could just put another bed beside mine in my room?"
Me: "Or maybe some bunks to save room?"
Master 4: "Yeah, let's get bunks. That would be cool."

Me: "Will you sleep on the top bunk or will _____ sleep on the top?"
Master 4: "No. I think me and ______ will sleep on the top one and the babies can sleep down the bottom."

Righto! All settled then!

Do you/have you had some great chats with children lately?






11 comments:

  1. Haha! That's too funny. My twins have just turned 2.5 years so we've just started on the funny conversations now.

    P.S Just to let you know - you've used the wrong button for FYBF. It's the blue one with the Digital Parents logo :)
    The Featured Flogger button is for those who have written featured posts on FYFB :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace - all fixed. You have so much to look forward to with your twins.

      Delete
  2. I love the name of your blog and the blog. What a lovely post. I think asking the children questions about the future is so fun. So amazing to see what they imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, this conversation sounds scarily familiar to me! LOL! My Miss 4 is constantly asking about when she'll get married, have babies, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the simple way that kids see the world. And how they think they will always live within the family home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Classic!

    My boys tell me they are going to live with me forever. Yay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think boys are more prone to stay at home than girls Sophie. Master 4 certainly was concerned that he would have to leave at a certain age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahahaha! My five-year-old is also keen on the bunkbeds approach and the save the other rooms for important things ... like cars, or lego.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pearler of a conversation, Melissa Jane! So clever of you to record it for posterity. Thanks for linking up with the POTMC. J x

    ReplyDelete