Tuesday 10 September 2013

I tried to shop local

I get so frustrated trying to support local stores to find that, not only do they not stock what I am after, but they can't or won't get it, in anything under a week.

I believe shopping in Tasmania has evolved a great deal in the last 20 years. I have revealed before my addiction to online shopping, but I make a real effort to shop locally. I think it is important to support local produce as well as local businesses. If we don't support them, they will be a thing of the past.

My frustration reached a peak recently when I had two specific gifts to buy.
As we visited one shop after another I couldn't believe that the two items were so hard to find.

The first was a locally filmed movie called The Hunter, based around the search for the Tasmanian Tiger. It shows great local scenery and locations, and stars well known actors William Dafoe, Sam Neill and Callan Mulvey. I enjoyed the movie and thought it would be a great gift for my Dad for Father's Day.

The other gift was for my son who loves anything to do with water and remote control, so I was looking for a remote control boat suitable for a 6 year old.

It's pointless going through the huge list of shops, big and small, independent and national that we visited one after the other. Not only did they not currently stock the items, but the ones who offered to get them in for me could do no better than 7-10 working days.

And here I thought we were living in the age of fast internet and fast post.

Needless to say that I went home very dejected, but hopped online and sourced the two items. It took little time to track down the items via a search online, the prices were great and I received the movie in 2 days and the boat in 4 days.

To stay competitive, local businesses need to keep in touch with local demand, and make an effort for those trying to keep these stores open.
Posted via BlogPost

No comments:

Post a Comment