Tuesday 12 July 2011

Write on Wednesday - Inspired by Music

At first I struggled with this one. Actualy, I do every week, but I give it a bash. I have to admit - I really got into this one once I started and may well have gone a little overtime.

The idea is to take your favourite song, or a song you're hearing right now on the radio, and use the first line of lyrics you hear as your writing prompt for a 5-minute, stream of consciousness exercise.
Hop over to inkpaperpen to link up.

There are so many parts of this song that I relate to with different people from various parts of my life. I couldn't resist picking this one. Once I started with you in mind MM, it was all about you. RIP.



Lady Antebellum - Need You Now



Picture perfect memories
Scattered all around the floor.

I'm so thankful for these memories and gaze at them with such fondness. They show the fun we had, the mateship, the feeling of being part of a team, a special family bond. I remember the laughter, and the easy chatter we shared. The almost brother/sister ribbing between us.
I have your music to go with the photos and play it often. I can see you in my mind singing along like you used to, playing air guitar when the customers had their back turned. Me - trying to remain serious as I delivered my sales pitch to a lady with purple hair and a shawl.
But then I remember, and the smile slips from my face, ... this is all I have of you now.
I understand the pain you felt, the decisions you made, I really do.  And it pains ME that we were with you, beside you everyday, and couldn't relieve that pain. You could have shared the pain, we would have been happy to help you carry it.
Could have ...should have .... would have ...

10 comments:

  1. This is really beautiful. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how very sad. The pain of not being able to help someone else's pain is so well expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are drawing on some deep pain in this piece. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt some personal pain in your piece. Whether or not you have drawn on a personal experience, it was very well written. Thank you for sharing.

    Anne @ Domesblissity

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this song, but it makes me feel like crying every time I hear it. Now it's going to make me feel that way even more after reading your story. I'm sorry that you had to go through this sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Melissa, what a sad post. Thank you for sharing it with us, it is quite beautiful.Some lovely and sad memories in this piece.

    I am glad you keep giving W.o.W a bash, its lovely to have you playing along each week

    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very sad, deep piece. I think you did a great job of writing it, especially in the 5 minute allotment. Thank you for sharing it - I enjoyed reading.
    <3 Kiersten
    http://kierstenevan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you. tears stop my eyes from seeing and my shaking hands can't type anymore just now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So moving. I'm very glad you keep sticking with WoW. We wouldn't have seen this if you didn't.

    I get the feeling that you are remembering, mourning and perhaps feeling as though you didn't do enough for your friend. I will say that it's hard to reach someone in that dark place. Sometimes sharing of the pain is just not possible.

    Okay, back to your piece...I'm glad you have some good memories and I hope it wasn't to painful to share them with us.

    ReplyDelete