Thursday 19 April 2012

Thankful for You and Me Time

If you are anything like me, there are just not enough hours in the day. On top of my usual chores at home, and working part-time, I tend to get lost in tasks, and before I know it, 2 hours of my precious time has been taken up doing what could have been a 20 minute job. So how do we juggle life and still find time to tend to the emotional and physical needs of our children.

There is a lot of talk about of how important it is to have "me time". It is just as important for a parent to fit in some "you and me time". It doesn't matter whether you have one child or ten, they need and benefit from attention from their parents. Each child is different, and so the activities that they would prefer to do with you differ too. Some children just like to have you in the same room with them and chat, while others are more physical, and need to sit on your knee while reading a book.

I have been blessed with two "touchy feely" children. Whilst they are both different in their drive and personalities, they both crave physical connection and interaction with us.

We often get asked "can you play with me", because even though we make an effort, it is never enough to satisfy their cravings.

These are some of the things we enjoy together:

Playing the Wii
Reading books
Colouring in
Playing basketball
Walking the dog
Playing card/board games
Playing soccer
Swimming 
Thankful Thursdays Button
ThankfulThursday

9 comments:

  1. I need to print this list aout nd let my boys choose :)
    I play Lego with mine and read to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really enjoy these activities - glad you like the list Trish.

      Delete
  2. We do lots of reading here. Sometimes we dance to music, sometimes we play shops or other imaginative games, sometimes we play chase, sometimes we draw and sometimes we just sit together and watch a movie. My son loves to sit right beside me and play angry birds on his dad's phone while I play it on mine. I love it that my children love 'you and me time' too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I desperately need to spend some dedicated time with each of my kids. Once our move is done I'm looking forward to life settling down and being able to more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life can be so hectic, without the added pressure of moving. Good luck Kate.

      Delete
  4. Great post! I think it's so important to spend time with each of my kids....but sometimes it's just so hard to find the time. I find school holidays is a good opportunity for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to find the time. There always seems to be chores that need doing!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for linking up to First Day of My life's Thankful Thursday <3 Hope to see you next week too!!
    This is a beautiful list you've compiled! I am sure it helped some mommas out there with ideas! Enjoy spending time with the kiddos this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so agree. Quality time with our kids is so rare these days with fast living and rushing here there and everywhere. Sounds like you had a lovely, lovely day:)

    ReplyDelete