Saturday 25 June 2011

I remember .... a simple life

Write On Wednesdays Exercise 3 - I remember: Write "I remember" a the top of your page. Set a timer for 5 minutes. Use "I remember" as your prompt and write down the first words that come into your head for 5 minutes. Stop when the buzzer rings! Do this exercise over and over if you wish. I will try to do it every morning this week. I'll let you know how I go...I am hoping that the thought of having to tell you all about my progress will be the motivation I need to keep at it! 



I remember a time before complexity.

I remember when I didn't have bills to pay, a diary full of appointments for other people, and a handbag with little sunglasses and a dolls hairbrush inside.

I remember a time before I was the main source of knowledge in the house. Someone else was responsible for knowing where "that" black shirt is, for knowing when is the water bill is due, for knowing every birthday, password, pin code, and account number.

I remember when I wanted to go somewhere I just jumped in the car ... and went. The mess in the car was my own, and the choice and volume of the music was up to me.

I remember a time when the TV remote was where I left it, when I didn't have to fish around between the lounge cushions for lost items, when my computer screen wasn't covered in little smeared finger prints.

I remember a time when I would sit up all night .... reading, watching movies or chatting with friends. That was before nights sitting up checking temperatures and administering more paracetamol or trips to the toilet for either myself or someone else.

I remember a time quite removed from my life as I now know it.  It's almost like looking back on a different person.  A person who moved as an individual.
The person I see now is part of a team. Important. Needed. Cared for. Thought about.
But the individual and the team player are the same person, living in two different times, different roles in life, different goals and hopes.

4 comments:

  1. I can especially relate to the bit about being the person with all the knowledge. This still takes me by surprise. How on earth did I become the person who knows where everything is? It is like remembering a different person sometimes, isn't it? Thanks for joining in with Write On Wednesdays! Gill xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your take on this. I expected an ending about how much you miss those times, but instead you've chosen all the good bits of your current role to focus on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having these feelings makes me very overwhelmed, and scared, at times. There's so much responsibility involved with being this person. You're right though, it is nice to be needed and important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well written. I know exactly how you feel!

    ReplyDelete