Friday 15 February 2013

Take A Moment To Look

I caught my reflection in the mirror as I stepped out of the shower this morning. In the hustle and bustle of being a busy, working parent, I find that many little things get brushed aside. This includes taking the time to concentrate on looks, and noticing changes in the body.

The reflection of my naked body caught me quite by surprise ... simply because I rarely see it in the mirror. It is usually a blur as I rush past, or a dark shadow as I prepare for my day in the dim room as other people sleep.

I am not one to stand in front of the mirror to admire and ponder the wonders of my body. I prefer to view my body covered in layers of material, hiding it's lumps and bumps, disguising the areas where there is always excess of me, blurring the unsightly.

I know the importance of knowing ones body, though, and checking for changes as we grow and age. Changes can indicate many things; some that are normal and indicative of our travels through life, while others are warnings of things our body is trying to tells us. These changes may be very subtle and over time, so are worth gauging on a regular basis ... whether you are comfortable with your reflection, or not.

So, this morning, after recovering from the shock of seeing my naked body, I took the time to take in the curves, the skin, the tone and texture, the spots and scars, the size and proportion, and made mental notes as I looked for any changes.

When was the last time you took a moment to look? Do you notice the little changes in your body? Take a moment today to have a look.

Joining in on Friday fun with:






7 comments:

  1. I actually winced at the thought! I usually avoid it at all costs, at least all in one go. Maybe a bit at a time, so I can cope with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed my boobs beginning to sag the other day. Not happy Jan! But I'm healthy and that is to be thankful for. Thanks for Flashing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I check fairly regularly, and get my husband to double check the moles on my back that I can't see. It's good to have a second pair of eyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Jess! I get my hubby to do the same.

      Delete
  4. I usually try so hard not to look! I understand the importance of knowing your body well and you've posted an awesome reminder of the importance of this. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So often I find that I look in the mirror only to pick fault with what I see. I'm trying to work towards better health goals to be the best body I can be as I turn 40 in August but also to be aware that this body has produced three lovely kids and is never going to look 20 yrs old again. So often I forget to be grateful for the relatively good health my body is in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As much as it can be a pain, I do take time to take notice. In the end, it helps me to remind myself just how important it is for me to take care of my body. It's the only one I've got.

    ReplyDelete