Saturday 28 May 2011

Ode to O

Oprah has been a part of my life since first becoming pregnant, eight years ago now. I didn't really have the time for her before then, being a full time employee. But then she entered my life, and she brought out the best in me.

I know she has a lot of critics and I guess she is "just doing her job", but it is the passion and emotion she puts into her work, and the way she shares her views that I admire. She was one of the first to make me sit up and look beyond myself, at myself, and question the way we live life.  Before this point, I had been going along in life in "automatic", plodding along, doing whatever was fun and thinking life would take care of itself. BIG WAKEUP CALL! Preparing for parenthood gave me a kick in the pants and Oprah has grounded me and helped since.

I have spent many episodes either in tears or grinning from ear to ear, depending on the content of Oprah's show. She has made me feel proud by things she has said, even though they weren't about me. She has also "wowed" me with her generosity and love of sharing. I remember her saying on many occassions "if it is worth doing or having, then it's worth sharing".

She has dared to prove many wrong over the years that she could do the job, and infact, was the presenter to try things on television nobody had done before. It has been to her credit that she now has her own magazine, her own production company, she has discovered talents like Dr Phil and Dr Oz, she was the first on day time tv to present her audience with gifts, and she has shared details of her life openly to the world.

I will miss Oprah, but I'm sure we will be seeing re-runs of her show for some time to come. I really can't see Oprah sailing off into the sunset to live "the quiet life". I'm sure she has much more to say, more things to share and much more inspiration to give.

Here are some of my favourite quotes.

As you become more clear about who you really are, you'll be better able to decide what is best for you - the first time around.
Oprah Winfrey
Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough.
Oprah Winfrey

Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.
Oprah Winfrey

Doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment.
Oprah Winfrey


I don't think you ever stop giving. I really don't. I think it's an on-going process. And it's not just about being able to write a check. It's being able to touch somebody's life.
Oprah Winfrey

I still have my feet on the ground, I just wear better shoes.
Oprah Winfrey



1 comment:

  1. Some fabulous quotes. She is certainly an amazing woman. I have never been a regular watcher of her show but she is well known for her generosity. I hope you are surviving on re-runs? Thanks for Rewinding x

    ReplyDelete