Wednesday 29 June 2011

W.O.W 2 fat ladies and a parent

Write On Wednesdays
Grab the 8th book from your bookshelf. Open it to page 8. Scroll down to the 8th sentence. Write this sentence at the top of your page. Set your timer for 5 minutes and write the first words that come into your head after your writing prompt. Stop when the buzzer rings! Write on Wednesday is courtesy of  Gill at inkpaperpen

Hmmm ... harder than I thought. There are A LOT of kids books on our bookshelf. Not many of the younger books have 8 lines to a page, some don't even have 8 pages. So I didn't grab the 8th book I came to. I had to change course and select from another shelf and the opposite end of the shelf.

"As a parent you have the power to set your child on a course for success" Taken from Dr Phil MacGraw's Family First.

Wouldn't that be wonderful. To choose a course for your child and sit back and watch it all fall into place as they grow. Now I know he is not insinuating that you set a course and it's done.  More realistically, you set morals, rules and standards to follow. But the job is not done at that point. Children and sometimes, grown sons and daughters need constant guidance and supervision. As the parent of two young children I am already finding the job frustrating and exhausting. I am certainly not looking forward to the teenage years as I feel my daughter is already hormonal enough at 7 years of age. The things that scare me are the things I know from my experience as a teenager. Your child likes to challenge your authority. Your child will be tempted to deviate from the rules. Your child will want to follow the crowd.

Well that was interesting. I'm looking forward to next week's challenge ... and reading everybody else's blogs.

4 comments:

  1. Oh if only children come with a manual for mums and dads to follow! Wouldnt it be lovely to sit back and just let it all roll out :)

    loved your piece, very thought provoking (I too am not looking forward to teenage years... My 4yo is attitude plus at the moment)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I relate to this post! Especially the sentiment about your daughter. I feel exactly the same way about my Miss 8. I'm not looking forward to the teenage years either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't even got to thinking about teenage years yet! At this point it is hard to imagine dragging my boys out of bed in the morning (I remember this being the case in my teen years) because right now, the boys don't seem to believe in sleep. I am finding this week's exercise interesting - people who had a fiction prompt wrote fiction, while non fiction produced non fiction. Obvious, i guess, but I hadn't even thought about what would happen if my 8th book had been a non fiction. I probably should try it with one. Thanks for joining in again with W.o.W. Sorry it took me so long to comment - blogger wouldn't let me yesterday! Gill xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I have definitely thought about the teenage years already....and my daughter has only just turned 1! Like you said, I think about myself as a teenager, and wonder how I would have coped with that as a parent. Scary!
    Now I'm daydreaming about what kind of a life plan I would set out for her if you could choose all the elements you desire for your children....relationships, career, travel.....what a wonderful thought!

    ReplyDelete