Saturday 2 July 2011

Happiness is .... good tunes

There are just some tasks that I do better if I have some good music playing.

Actually, it is quite rare (especially now I am in the depths of parenthood) that I am surrounded by silence.


This week I got to Friday and just had to knuckle down to get some jobs down at work. So I popped a CD in my computer, plugged in my earphones (the computer doesn't have speakers, and I'm sure even though I had my little office to myself, my co-workers may not have liked my style of music), I turned it up to a suitable level and put my head down and hummed the afternoon away. Lucky I do have my own office because there is always somewhere on a CD that you feel the need for a drum solo, or you have to do fancy footwork under the desk.

Another music appropriate occasion for me would have to be housework.  I work more efficiently with some goods tunes on. Sometimes this can get a little rowdy if I need to turn the volume up above the vacuum noise. Apologies to the neighbours on the left - all the other neighbours will have to put up with it the same as I put up with their music.

I definitely CAN NOT drive in the car with the stereo off or turned down. I make an exception to turn the music down if I have a guest in the car which is hardly ever. I enjoy my music so much in the car that I have a 12 CD stacker connected to my stereo. Variety is the spice of life. It is ALWAYS filled with a good variety from 80's to pop, some country and something a bit heavy, some girly tunes, some top40 and soundtracks. I try not to be the driver sitting at the traffic lights singing at the top of my lungs. I always have a good chuckle when I spot one of these in the rear view mirror.  Miss 7 and I love to sing along to the radio, which is something I remember enjoying in my childhood when driving somewhere with my parents. I am happy to say Miss 7 is learning a good array of "oldies".

Music has also been instrumental in coping with and treating my anxiety disorder. Whether it was listening to music as I walked to use up my abundance of adrenalin, or laying in the bath of lavender and salts with my headphones and some easy listening tunes, or drifting off to sleep with relaxing sounds in my ears. My masseuse also has some nice music on while she works away my knots and tension. Music helps take you to another place, and if chosen wisely, it is a place that is happier and easier to cope with than where you are at.

So what do I listen to? Today, and quite often it is Lady Antebellum.

Good walking music tends to be Pink!, Avril Lavigne, Vanessa Amorosi. If I need a blast from the past its Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, or anything from 80s/90s, or if I need something new it's J Lo, Adele, Taylor Swift, Jessie J, Black Eyed Peas, actually .... the list is quite varied and changes constantly. But I find I keep drifting back to Lady Antebellum.

I'd love to know what is your addiction in music at the moment? Do you love music or can you do without it?

Join Happiness is .... at rubsomedirt

2 comments:

  1. Oh, yes! I completely agree. A great song helps me to get going in the morning, with the housework, anything really. At the moment I put on a bit of John Butler, the energy of his music and lyrics get me feeling positive and engergised. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go through waves. I listen to it all the time for awhile, and then get in a rut and don't listen at all for awhile. I currently can't get enough of Mumford & Sons and Avett Brothers. My littles love music (adult music, yay!) so that makes it even more fun.

    ReplyDelete