Wednesday 26 October 2011

W.O.W ... I thought I saw



Write On Wednesdays Exercise 20 - Write the words " I thought I saw" at the top of your page. Set a timer for 5 minutes. Write the first words that come into your head after the prompt. Don't take you pen off the page (or fingers off the keyboard). Stop only when the buzzer rings! Do this exercise over and over if you wish. Write beyond 5 minutes if you like, you can link it up as an extra post.

 
I thought I saw a flash of something small,furry and fast dart past the doorway. 

I slowly pull my legs up onto the lounge instinctively. I turn the sound down on the Television and listen intently for any noise. 

Where did it go ... and what was it?

Why do these things always happen when I'm home alone? Nobody was due home for a long time. I had planned a lazy night on the lounge watching my favourite soapies. Damn you ... you thing.

I can't sit still any longer. I have to look up the hallway and see if anything is there.
I look around for a weapon I can swing at the "thing". I don't want to hurt it, or damage it. I hate blood, especially on my carpet for God's sake. I just want to show it that this was not the place to settle for the night.
I tiptoe toward the doorwith the trusty children's plastic golf stick in hand.
If somebody were to come up behind me now, it would definitely be a new knickers needed moment.


I had no choice in my opening. The kids were so still on the lounge watching Over The Hedge, and the characters were talking to me. Good fun though.



Write On Wednesdays
Link with Ink Paper Pen

6 comments:

  1. Ha ha - 'a new knickers moment'! Love it! I had a mouse for a while loose in the house and I kept seeing the damned thing out of the corner of my eye.

    I became fond of it in a way but not enough to stop me tying up the bin bag when I found it munching leftovers and putting it outside in the wheelie bin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a very funny little piece, I loved the attitude of the narrator and the "not on my carpet!" vibe. Hilarious, and I hope she finds a non violent way to get it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I love the last line! I loved the playful feel of this, yet, I could still feel your anxiety! I feel bad for the mouse, though. I hope he doesn't get hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I do that tough-but-not-really thing when there's a mouse in the house.

    I'm not sure I could bring myself to go looking for it either!

    A fun take on the prompt. Really enjoyable :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the playful feel of this piece. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the fun pace but oh your piece gave me chills! I freak out when I catch sight of a mouse!

    ReplyDelete