Thursday 24 November 2011

Comforting memories

Do you ever catch a particular scent and it takes you back to a moment in your childhood? Or get a flash of something and it instantly gives you the feeling of deja vu? This happens to me quite regularly. Sometimes I struggle to place where or when that memory is coming from.

When I was growing up I spent a good amount of time at my grandmother's house, on weekends and school holidays. I have many memories from this stage of my life.

I sometimes catch the scent of her house.

I can see myself sitting in the garden, eating her peas.

If I see old cutlery, it takes me back to her kitchen. The same happens with old patterned plates and saucers.

I can feel the warmth of her open fire. We would sometimes cook our toast on a homemade 3 prong fork.

I can here the giggles of cousins as we played hide-and-seek outside.

I can see my hand reaching hesitantly into the chicken house to retrieve the eggs. I can hear the nervous cackle of the chickens.

I can hear the crunch of the gravel road under my feet as we walked along to the bridge, or up the road to her neighbour, Marlene.

I wouldn't say these memories are haunting me, when they pop up out of the blue. I would describe it more as the memories comforting me, and taking me back to a time when life was a little bit simpler for me. I'm glad that these memories are triggered by smells and sights, and keeping me company.

What are the memories that keep you company?

Today I am linking up with Kate Says Stuff 

3 comments:

  1. That is me and childrens scrabble or grape vines - they both take me back to my grandparents house.

    Strange how memories work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scent wise a waft of men's rexona sport deodorant always brings back memories of being 16 and my first 'real' boyfriend. Ahhh to be young and daft :)

    Thankyou for joining in today :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write so beautifully! You've made me all nostalgic about the times I used to spend at my grandparents. Don't you wish we could somehow save those experiences and relive them occasionally?

    ReplyDelete