Friday 10 February 2012

The day I climbed a tree


 As you get older, there are some things, you realise, you haven't done in a long, long time. Some may be because you physically can't do them anymore.
I did attempt to do a handstand recently. Needless to say that my biceps are certainly not used to holding up my weight. My face and the grass had a very sudden, intimate meeting.

There are other options, depending on your age and the things available to you, that might still be able to do.

I had this exact thought when I was making my 2012 To Do List.
I admire my son often as he climbs nimbly. He looks so free, and he always has the best view.
So, on our recent trip to Wayatinah, I eyed off the trees at the playground. This was the perfect opportunity. No gusting winds, no sharp objects on the ground, a little energy to burn.

Although, my shoes were not exactly built for tree climbing, I strode up to my tree of choice with confidence.

Now, I know that the tree of choice does not look huge, but it offered the perfect angle and thickness of branch for my limited ability.

My friend also pointed out that I shimmied up the branch, rather than showing a climbing style. She is really picky!
Regardless, she took photos between giggles and tried to get the best angle to show how I wasn't really high up high I was. I even managed a couple of poses.

Not to be outdone, Master 4 though he should join me. He was probably thinking, 'what is the big deal'.

I must admit, it was cool being up the tree. I felt young again, until it occurred to me how much it would hurt if I fell. The view is better from up there. A little padding on the branch would have been lovely.

Have you explored your adventurous side lately? What did you do when you were younger that you haven't done in a long time?


Ling up with


Life with Twins 2 a Drama Queen
Where's My Glow

2 comments:

  1. I was never into tree climbing when I was a kid. I was petrified of heights (still am) and would often try and be a climber, go up, get stuck, and have to be rescued. My brother however was, and still is, fearless. He was into rock climbing and would rig his harness so that he could climb to the very top of our tallest tree. Crazy! I am very very unadventurous these days, I'm afraid to say. Too much of a wuss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be able to wake up and get out of bed without groaning.


    Cranky Old Man

    ReplyDelete