Friday 13 July 2012

Appreciation for The Olden Days

I love how a child's mind works. They can look at things in wonder and imagine shapes and what makes things work.

My children are particularly fascinated with things and happenings from the "olden days". For young minds that have known nothing but modern convenience, to hear that things haven't always been this way really opens their imagination.

My son was hesitant to sit on our toilet recently, as it was a little cold. He laughed when I told him that his Grandparents had toilets outside when they were younger. I explained that the toilet seat would have been really cold for them. He thought about this for a while as he did his business. "But why would they do that Mum" he asked in wonder. He could not comprehend why the toilet would not be inside the house.

My daughter thought the idea of riding a horse to school, as was quite common for some, would have been the best thing in the world. She is quite the romantic, and I can imagine her vision of herself making a grand entrance at school atop a big, shiny horse.

Both the children were amazed that when we were children, you needed to do your shopping before noon on a Saturday, or wait until Monday. Shopping hours have changed quite a bit since I was little with many shops open all weekend and some open til midnight or 24 hours.

I guess it shows how things don't remain the same for long. I thought of the time my parents grew up as "the old days", and now my children think the same about my childhood. I will continue to point out the conveniences of today's world, and share history and memories.

The olden days provide many lessons, give us appreciation for technology and convenience, but also show how things can advance and change.

5 comments:

  1. I never thought my childhood would be thought of as "the olden days", but I paid the same compliment to my own parents so I guess I need to wear it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is amazing how times change and I think that it is happening quicker quicker than ever before. I remember thinking how amazing it would be if the was such a thing as making a phone call and be able to see the person at the same time. My children are now growing up with video calls as a part of everyday life

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very true! My 10 year old niece can't believe that we didn't have computers at school. And I think she did add in there, "Well, they must've been the olden days"...Oh my...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How true!! I constantly remind my kids that there were no mobile phones, handheld consoles or even home PCs in my childhood - positively prehistoric they think!! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 2 year old knows how to unlock an ipad or itouch phone with the swipe of her finger. Me... I can still be a little intimidated at times. But the other day I found a home phone with the rotary numbers and she was completely confused.
    I am following you from the Friday Hop and hope you follow back.
    Have a great weekend.
    Jillian
    http://puzzlemecomplete.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete