Wednesday 27 July 2011

Write on wednesday ... Sit under a tree and write

Now, it's time for Write On Wednesday!This week we have an exercise based on a photo by Kristy at House of Prowse. Kristy took the photo above, emailed it to me and suggested we use it as a starting point for a writing prompt. I thought it was a fabulous idea, especially as it will provide a huge challenge for me. I'm not a visual person at all. But I'm determined to give it a go...
The Write On Wednesday Rules: Feel free to get creative with the writing exercises - there isn't a right or wrong. Please do try to visit the other members of Write On Wednesdays and leave a comment. You can grab the button for Write On Wednesdays from my sidebar.

Write On Wednesdays Exercise 7 - Sit under a tree and write: Find yourself a quiet spot. Set a timer for 5 minutes. Take a look at Kristy's Tree Photo. Write the first words that come into your head. Keep writing whatever comes into your head. Stop when the buzzer rings. Do this exercise over and over if you wish. If like me, you struggle with visual prompts, perhaps try sitting under a tree to write. I have heard that changing your usual writing place can spark new inspiration. Try it and see. Do both if you please!
Thanks again to ink paper pen

I feel the real need occasionally to Get Earthly.
To get what I hear you say. This is my term for how I feel sometimes.
When I have been inside too much, or cramped up in one position or been in dull light ... I need to get Earthly.
I think of myself like a Tree in this way.
image source
Sometimes I just like to take off the socks and shoes and feel the grass, and sometimes even push my toes in the soil. I like to turn my face up to the sun and feel it's warmth radiate through me. I like to stretch out my arms and legs and work out my stiff joints. I even like to stand still in the wind and feel the breeze rushing past me. On a hot day I am known to walk too close to the sprinklers in the front yards as I walk down the street. The quick intake of breathe as the cold water hits my skin is delightful.
And there you have 5 minutes. Do you get Earthly on occasion?


4 comments:

  1. I need to Get Earthy today, we have been hiding indoors from the rain but I think its time to get out! What a gorgeous phrase: Get Earthy, I might have to borrow this one

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do - I like to plant my feet and turn my face to the sun or walk in spring rain.

    Such an uplifting post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes! I can relate to this piece! I used to have a huge maple tree in my front yard, and on occasion I was known to go out and hug it! I call this "grounding" and sometimes I just need to ground myself to feel calm and centred! I loved this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so true! I love to get "Earthly", all it takes is just a minute or two to stop and experience what is around you, to make you feel new again. My favourite way is to close my eyes and turn my face up to the sun, ahhh that's the best. Makes me long for summer!

    ReplyDelete